16 February, 2016

Grade 3 Comprehension 6 : Answer key



Max's Good Habit


Max reads more than anyone he knows. He loves to read during all of his free time. His friends tease him because he would rather read than play video games, but his parents and his teachers are proud of him. They say reading is important, and it will help him learn about the world around him. They also tell him it is a good habit to read on a regular basis.



One day Max was reading a magazine article about volcanoes. He told his friends all about volcanoes and what causes them to erupt. The very next week, his class was assigned a science project about volcanoes. Guess who everyone wanted in their project group? Max's friends weren't teasing him anymore. Max ended up being in a group with Liz, Anna and Josh. The assignment was to create a poster board with information about volcanoes and to build a volcano model.


Max made copies of the magazine article about volcanoes so his project partners could read about them too. They also went to the library to look for more information about volcanoes.


The group met at Anna's house that night to organize the information and decide what they wanted to put on the poster board. They all asked Max what he thought was most important.Then they decided on the following together.


What causes volcanoes to erupt? The release of pressure when magma rises up through cracks in the Earth's crust.

How do volcanoes form? Lava from eruptions cools and forms new crust. The crust builds up after several eruptions to form a volcano.

How hot is lava? Lava can get as hot as 1,165 Fahrenheit.   



The next night they met at Josh's house to build their volcano. They used cardboard and modeling clay. First they made a volcano shape with the cardboard, and then they covered the shape in brown and red clay. The red was lava flowing down the volcano. They also attached red clay to the top of the volcano to make it look like it was erupting.



The volcano looked great. Max, Liz, Anna and Josh were very proud of their hard work. When they turned in their project, their teacher was proud too. Thanks to Max's good habit, they earned an A+ on both parts of the project.


Read the passage and answer the Questions:


1. What would Max rather do than play video games?

Ans. Max would rather read books instead of playing video games.


2. What type of science project was his class assigned?

Ans. His class was assigned a science project about volcanoes.


3. Who did everyone want in their project group?

Ans. Everyone wanted Max in their project group.


4.Max's parents and teachers were proud of his reading habit because It would help him learn about the world around him.

a) That way he would not waste time.

b) It would help him learn about the world around him.

c) He would become a better person.



II. Language Record:


1. From the passage give one word for


a. a write up: article

b. many: several



Word

Tick the correct word class

Frame a sentence of your own


proud


Verb


Adjective


Noun

When I came home with an A+ my parents felt proud.



habit

Verb


Adjective


Noun

Taking part in outdoor sports is agood habit.



III. Directed Writing:


Imagine you are Max from the passage . Your friends and you are assigned a project on Volcanoes. How did you'll manage getting A+ in your project?


  • How was your reading habit useful. What did your friends and teachers say about the same.

  • What was the assignment assigned to your group. How did you'll start working on the assignment?

  • What was the end result. Were you and your friends happy?

  • Your advice to everyone about reading books.


Hi, I am Max I read more than anyone I know. I love to read during all of my free time. My friends tease me because I would rather read than play video games, but my parents and my teachers are proud of me. They say reading is important, and it will help me learn about the world around me. They also tell me it is a good habit to read on a regular basis.



One day I was reading a magazine article about volcanoes. I told my friends all about volcanoes and what causes them to erupt. The very next week, my class was assigned a science project about volcanoes. Guess who everyone wanted in their project group? My friends weren't teasing me anymore. I ended up being in a group with Liz, Anna and Josh. The assignment was to create a poster board with information about volcanoes and to build a volcano model.I made copies of the magazine article about volcanoes so his project partners could read about them too. We also went to the library to look for more information about volcanoes.


The group met at Anna's house that night to organize the information and decide what we wanted to put on the poster board. They all asked me what I thought was most important.Then we decided on the following together. What causes volcanoes to erupt? How do volcanoes form? How hot is lava?   

The next night we met at Josh's house to build their volcano. They used cardboard and modeling clay. We also made red lava flowing down the volcano. We also attached red clay to the top of the volcano to make it look like it was erupting.

The volcano looked great. We were very proud of our hard work. When we turned in our project, our teacher was proud too. Thanks to my good habit, we earned an A+ on both parts of the project.



My advice about reading books is, that it is definitely one of the best habits to have. It increases our knowledge and teaches us about new and different things around us.



No comments: