27 August, 2014

IIMUN writeup





                                                     IIMUN Experience
Vrushali Sukhi(A levels)


"Motion to go into a moderated caucus on the topic of provision of medical aids in Afghanistan.", I stammered in the freezing air-conditioned room.
"Delegate of Poland, now what does medical AIDS mean?",asked the chair.

This is honestly - and unfortunately - my most vivid memory from my first IIMUN. Yes, that's how it went. It was obvious that after this, I didn't speak up even once, for the remaining sessions. But then came in the goof-up by the delegate of Belgium as she accused USA of starting the World War I. I was more surprised at how well she got away with it simply because she spoke convincingly and confidently!

That gave me my first major lesson in the bitterest way possible - what you speak is important, but how you speak is even more so! The second major lesson - too much shyness is not going to get you anywhere.

This year's IIMUN was not as bad, but yet it did give me some subtler lessons, like how exactly to do research - mind you, without Wikipedia. I did stammer on the first day, but I was happy to have tried again and spoken more.

'You don't always have to be pigeon-holed into one personality mould' - that's what I learn t. Being too stubborn and rigid wasn't going to help much either. 'Going with the flow' was what I learnt.

So yes, I do agree that I''m not even planning to go for a career even remotely connected to politics or law. But these MUN's pushed me to speak up and open up a little more. This is after all, very important in a competitive world like ours.


No comments: