12 November, 2014

Grade 4 Comprehension 4 (Answer key)

1. What was Alicia doing at the beginning of this story?

Ans: At the beginning of this story Alicia was helping her grandparents to move into a new home.

2. When Alicia began reading the diary, to whom did she think it belonged?

Ans: When Alicia began reading the diary, she thought that it belonged to the girl who used to live in grandma's house earlier.

 

3. Where does this story take place? 

Ans: This story took place in the attic of her grandparents' new house.    

 

4. Why do you think Alicia was interested in learning about dance from grandma? (Application)

Ans: Alicia was interested in learning about dance from grandma as she was probably fond of dancing and always wanted to take dance classes.

 5. What type of story is this?         

 Ans: real fiction                     

 

6.  List the correct order of these events. Write the correct number in the boxes below:

1. Alicia discovers that the book was written by a dancer. 3                    

2. Grandma Maggie offers to teach her about dance. 5 

3. Alicia saw a book on the floor. 1 

4. Grandma Maggie notices Alicia reading the book. 4

5. Alicia realizes the book is a diary. 2

 

7.Find a word from the story to match each definition.

1. collected over a long period of time – accumulated

2. looked – peered

3. wouldn't take no for an answer – insisted

4. turn  round and round – twirled

5. place where an artist or dancer works or learns – studio

 

 

 

II  Directed Writing:                                                                                 

Imagine you are Alicia in the story; Write a letter to your mother telling her about the interesting things at grandma's house.

·        Describe the attic.

·        What book did you find and why did it catch your interest.

·        How did you feel when your grandma said she would teach you few things about dance.

 

Dear mother,

I am fine here and hope the same for you. I am having a lovely time with grandma and very happy to know that you are going to join us soon. The new house is very beautiful and the environment is peaceful. I was busy all these days helping grandma to move into the new house. The most interesting thing about the house is its upper floor attic. It is a full room with a low ceiling. It's a delightful place to spend time. Moreover at a glance the whole town can be viewed from the attic. I think grandma's new house attic is the best place to hang out.

The attic is an amazing place, as I was helping grandma to sort out the stuff there my eyes fell on a book with a blank cover lying near the trunk in the corner. I picked up the book and flipped through the pages and found that it was a diary so I started reading it. As I read through I got to know that it was about a girl who was a dancer. I thought that it was a girl who lived in this house before, until grandma said it was she herself. I was amazed to know that grandma was a dancer.

Grandma has told me that she would make the attic a dance studio and would teach me few things about dance. My joy knew no bounds when I heard that as I'm fond of dancing and always wanted to take dance classes. I feel that's going to be an exciting experience. Well, I can't write more now. There's such a lot to do, and hope to see you soon! Give my love to dad.

 

Your loving son/daughter,

XYZ

No comments: