15 August, 2016

Grade 3 answer Key- Comprehension 1

A Rainy Day (Answer key)

14/08/2016

Answer the following questions:

 

1. How was David feeling at the beginning of the passage? Why?
David was feeling bored at the beginning of the passage as had nothing much to do.  He had already finished his homework and chores around the house.

 

    2. What did Grandfather do to make the boats waterproof?

a.  painted the boats.

b.  stuck the boats together.

c.   rubbed some wax on the bottom of each boat.

 

  3. Describe the weather mentioned in the above passage.

       It was a grey rainy day.

 

   4. Why do you think David said that he will never feel bored again on a rainy day?

  (Application based)

5. Find a word from the passage that means "grumbled".         complained

6. Find the antonym of the word "giant" from the passage.      miniature


7. Language Record:

 Frame sentences of your own:-

 

Word

Tick the correct

Sentence

i) sturdy

noun

 

verb


adjective

ii)  chores

noun

 

verb


adjective




8. Directed writing

Imagine you are David from the story, since you were bored at home,

·         What solution did your Grandfather offer you for your problem?

·         After you made the paper boats, what did you do?

·         How did you feel at the end?



I am David. I was feeling bored as I had nothing much to do.  I had already finished my homework and chores around the house. My grandfather was reading a newspaper. 'I have an idea,' said Grandfather. 'We can have fun with my newspaper.' I was doubtful. 'How can I have fun with a newspaper?  I don't feel like reading?'  'Watch this,' said Grandfather. He began folding the newspaper slowly and carefully.  When he finished, the newspaper looked just like a miniature sailboat.  'Now you try it,' he said, handing me a sheet of newspaper.

          Then, using a candle, Grandfather rubbed some wax on the bottom of each boat.  'This will make our boats waterproof,' he explained.  When the rain stopped, we took the boats outside, where a small stream of rainwater had formed next to the street.  To my surprise, the paper boats floated downstream!  Grandfather and I raced our paper boats all afternoon, until it was almost dark outside.

          I was very happy by the end of the day. I thanked my grandfather for all the fun that I had. Henceforth, I know what I should do when I get bored.

 

No comments: