15 December, 2016

Grade 4 Comprehension Answer Key

Grade 4 Comprehension Answer Key

                            ANDROCLUS AND THE LION

In Rome there was once a poor slave whose name was Androclus. His master was a cruel man, and so unkind to him that at last Androclus ran away. He hid himself in the woods for many days; but there was no food to be found, and he grew weak and sick. One day he crept into a cave and lay down, and soon he was fast asleep. After a while a great noise woke him up. A lion had come into the cave, and was roaring loudly. Androclus was very much afraid, for he felt sure that the beast would kill him. Soon, however, he saw that the lion was not angry, but that he limped as though his foot hurt him.

 Then Androclus grew so bold that he took hold of the lion's lame paw to see what was the matter. The lion stood quite still, and rubbed his head against the man's shoulder. He seemed to say,— "I know that you will help me."Androclus lifted the paw from the ground, and saw that it was a long, sharp thorn which hurt the lion so much. He took the end of the thorn in his fingers; then he gave a strong, quick pull, and out it came. The lion was full of joy. He jumped about like a dog, and licked the hands and feet of his new friend.

Androclus was not at all afraid after this; and when night came, he and the lion lay down and slept side by side. For a long time, the lion brought food to Androclus every day; and the two became such good friends, that Androclus found his new life, a very happy one.

One day some soldiers who were passing through the wood found Androclus in the cave. They knew who he was, and so took him back to Rome. It was the law at that time that every slave who ran away from his master should be made to fight a hungry lion. So a fierce lion was shut up for a while without food, and a time was set for the fight.

 When the day came, thousands of people crowded to see the sport. They went to such places at that time, very much as people now-a-days go to see a circus or a game of baseball. The door opened, and poor Androclus was brought in. He was very afraid, for the roars of the lion could already be heard. He looked up, and saw that there was no pity in the thousands of faces around him.Then the hungry lion rushed in. With a single bound he reached the poor slave. Androclus gave a great cry, not of fear, but of gladness. It was his old friend, the lion of the cave.

 The people, who had expected to see the man killed by the lion, were filled with wonder. They saw Androclus put his arms around the lion's neck; they saw the lion lie down at his feet, and lick them lovingly; they saw the great beast rub his head against the slave's face as though he wanted to be petted. They could not understand what it all meant. After a while they asked Androclus to tell them about it. So he stood up before them, and, with his arm around the lion's neck, told how he and the beast had lived together in the cave.

"I am a man," he said; "but no man has ever befriended me. This poor lion alone has been kind to me; and we love each other as brothers."

The people were not so bad that they could be cruel to the poor slave now. "Live and be free!" they cried. "Live and be free!"

Others cried, "Let the lion go free too! Give both of them their liberty!"

And so Androclus was set free, and the lion was given to him for his own. And they lived together in Rome for many years.

 

Tick the correct option:

1.     Androclus was a

a.      soldier

b.     master

c.     poor slave

    2. Why did Androclus run away?

a.      because he wanted to meet the lion.

b.     because his master was cruel and unkind to him.

c.     because his master was very loving and kind.

   3. The lion was full of joy

a.      when Androclus removed the sharp thorn which hurt the lion.

b.     when he got food.

c.     When Androclus was taken back to Rome.

Answer the following questions:

1.     How did Androclus help the lion in the cave?

Androclus helped the lion in the cave by removing the sharp thorn which hurted the lion a lot.

 

2.     Why was Androclus  made to fight a hungry lion?

Androclus was made to fight a hungry lion because it was a rule that time that every slave who runs away from his master should be made to fight a hungry lion.

 

3.     Why do you think the crowd wanted Androclus and the lion to be free?

I think the crowd wanted Androclus and the lion to be free because they wanted that  they both should get their freedom and live their life happily together.

4.     Find the word from the passage which means "servant"    slave .

5.     Find the word from the passage which means "freedom"  liberty.

Language record

      Frame sentences of your own

Word

Tick the correct word class

Sentence

beast

noun

 

The hunter killed the beast with a single arrow through the heart.

cruel

adjective

Mr. Beckham was a cruel and a nasty man.

Directed writing

Imagine you are Androclus a slave. Write about your new friend, and how you found a new life with the lion.

·        How did you help the lion?

·        What did the soldiers do after taking you to Rome?

·        Why were the people surprised at the end?

·        How did you feel at the end?

 

                 Hello, I am Androclus. I was a poor slave. My master was very rude to me that is the reason why I ran away. One day I entered a cave and went fast asleep. Suddenly I heard a weird noise and I woke up.  I saw a lion roaring loudly who seemed not so angry, but that he limped as though his foot was hurt. Though I was scared i grew bold and went closer to him to see what was the matter. Then I lifted the paw and saw that it was a long and a sharp thorn which hurt the lion so much. I took the end of the thorn and pulled it out. The lion was full of joy and we both became good friends.

              One day some soldiers passing through the woods saw me hiding in the cave. They took me back to Rome. I was made to fight a hungry lion because It was the law at that time that every slave who runs away from his master should be made to fight a hungry lion.

              Many people had crowded to see me fighting with a lion. The door was opened and I was brought in. I was very scared as heard the lions roar. As I looked around I saw that the people who had come to see had no pity on me. Soon the lion rushed in and stood in front of me. The moment I saw him I was filled with joy because  It was the lion, my old friend of the cave. I put my arms around the lion's neck and lion rubbed his head against my face. The people who had expected me to be killed by the lion were surprised to see our friendship.

              My eyes filled with tears of joy and I felt very happy that I got a true friend who was very kind and helped me.

No comments: